I don't know how or why I was complaining about the weather in November.
They did turn the heat on, on November 15th as promised...however, that didn't make much difference in my apartment. Well I am sure it made some difference, but for some reason the radiator in my bedroom does not radiate much heat...I have had the maintenance staff come try to fix it, but it is still not working up to par. :(
No longer are the lows in the 40s, instead the highs are in the low 40's. And it gets down to the teens or 20's at night. I now have a thermometer in my bedroom, and the warmest I have seen it in the last few weeks is 62 (that was a one time thing). Most of the time when I go to bed and wake up it is about 56 indoors, sometimes as low as 54- even with my space heater attempting to help the radiator. The cold concrete walls tend to radiate more cold, than the radiator radiates heat.
However I am very grateful to have a fairly warm apartment, and a warm bed, because I have seen several people in the city sleeping outside in this weather... BRRR!
This is a culture where heat is not a necessity. It is much more common to bundle up and be prepared for the weather all day. - One benefit to that mentality is that you are not constantly taking off layers when you go inside...When it is as cold inside (or colder) as it is outside, you leave your layers on and you're good to go; rather than sweating when you walk in doors. Being an American, with quite a different mentality, I like being able to come inside to thaw out, and get a break from the cold on occasion throughout the day.
I understand the states are having quite a cold winter this year as well... I hope you are staying warm! (For those of you in Florida...continue to enjoy your 70's ;) )
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my word. You are a saint. I know I could never stand that. I will mention you when I speak to our Father and ask Him to warm you from your very soul.
Post a Comment